Parental Alienation

Parental Alienation

Most parents who split up or get divorced want what's best for their children, which generally means spending time with both parents. Parents can accomplish this goal in a variety of ways, and most can work out a mutually acceptable agreement amicably.

In certain cases, however, custody becomes the central conflict in the separation. One parent refuses to cooperate, either with the system or the law, and children are caught in the middle between two feuding sides. Such high-conflict cases give rise to the possibility of parental alienation syndrome (PAS), whereby the child is pressured to take sides.

The parental alienation lawyers Westside Family Law have decades of experience handling family disputes of all kinds, including ones with high emotion and conflict. Our parental alienation lawyers strive to be the level head in an emotionally difficult situation. We offer sound, assertive counsel aimed at achieving positive outcomes in cases of parental alienation.

Symptoms Of Parental Alienation

It's natural for children to become angry or hurt by parental separation. Most children feel that the separation is their fault and may lash out occasionally as a result. That being said, here are some telltale signs that a child may be suffering from parental alienation:

It's important to note here that parental alienation applies only in situations where there is no justified reason for the child's responses. Cases involving family violence, addiction or abuse can certainly fuel these reactions and are not considered to be parental alienation. In such cases, the Court will likely take action to ensure that the child's best interests are protected, which could mean limiting or prohibiting time spent in a toxic household.

What You Can Do About Parental Alienation

Parental alienation situations can be emotionally taxing on everyone. At such times, you want to take positive, concrete steps to rectify the situation. Westside Family Law’s parental alienation lawyers will seek the assistance of qualified, neutral experts to help with your case, such as child psychologists or therapists. Expert evidence on parental alienation will help you with your case and protect your child's best interests as well.

If you already have a parenting agreement or Court order and are trying to get it changed, it's important to follow the terms of your agreement carefully in the meantime. We can help you build your parental alienation case, which may take some time as we need to gather evidentiary support. Rest assured that we will do what we can to protect the children you love.

We Can Help You Through This Difficult Situation

Call us at 604-734-7911 or fill out the form below to get started. Our parental alienation lawyers strive to help families throughout the Vancouver area resolve difficult legal situations. We will give you our undivided attention and respect, and we always will.